Those who know me best know that I’m a cereal FREAK. When Ben and I first started living together and went grocery shopping, he used to laugh at me when we reached the cereal aisle
Cereal is amazing. There are so many varieties that can suit whatever your mood. Feeling nature-y? Grape Nuts. Feeling like a kid? Fruit Loops. Feeling like you should be a lil healthy? Special K. I mean, seriously, it’s the best food.
Except when you find out you have inherited your father’s hypoglycemia and blood sugar problems. Waa, waaa.
So, my cereal-crushing days are long over.
That doesn’t stop me from enjoying a bowl of cereal every now and then. I can’t quit it cold turkey.
Anyway, one of my favorite cereals is Cinnamon Toast Crunch. You know you love slurping up that cinnamon-sugar milk at the end too. SO yummy!
These cupcakes are a great way to pay tribute to this cereal. I do have to say that I thought these tasted pretty good after sitting in the fridge overnight. The flavors all set in and cozy up together for a delicious taste.
Oh, and the only part of these that *kind* of irritated me was getting the cereal into the fine crumb form. My old sifter busted, so I was using a VERY fine mesh strainer and it took FOR-EV-ER! But, tots worth it.
3 Large Eggs
1/3 c. Canola Oil
3/4 c. Buttermilk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3/4 c. Sour Cream (full-fat please)
1 box Vanilla Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with 20 cupcake liners.
2) In the bowl of your standup mixer, with the paddle attachment affixed, mix together your eggs, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and sour cream until smooth
3) Sift in the cake mix and cinnamon
4) Mix, on medium speed, for about 2 minutes.
5) Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 14-17 minutes. Your cake tester should come out fairly clean and the cupcakes should spring back when you *lightly* touch them
6) Remove from muffin tins and cool completely on wire racks
While your cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. Cream Cheese (I preferred using it cold)
1/2 c. Salted Butter
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3-4 c. Powdered Sugar
2/3 c. Cinnamon Toast Crunch powder (crush it and sift out the big pieces)
1-2 T. Heavy Whipping Cream
20 squares of Cinnamon Toast Crunch for garnish (optional)
1) In the bowl of your standup mixer, with the paddle attachment affixed, cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes
2) Add vanilla and mix until combined
3) Slowly add the powdered sugar. Start with 3 cups.
4) Add cereal powder
5) If the frosting is thick, add a bit of whipping cream. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar
6) Fill your piping bag with the cereal frosting and pipe a nice swirl on each cupcake. I used an open-star tip
7) Garnish each cupcake with a piece of cereal (optional)