Ok, someone I know was craving a lemon cupcake. I’ve done lemon with lemon buttercream before, but I didn’t want to do the same old thing.
To Google I went.
One of the first recipes that came up was this Lemon Mascarpone Cupcake from Lizzy at Your Cup of Cake.
I’m in love with her site. She’s so creative for such a young thing ;P Very talented, to say the least.
Oh, and I’m in love with anything using mascarpone. It can’t be used enough. Well, I take that back, it can. It’s quite rich.
Who cares. I haven’t made anything with mascarpone for at least a couple of weeks, so let’s do this.
The cake has SUCH a lovely texture. It’s not smack-you-in-the-face lemon (at least when first made), but it’s nice. The filling, duh, I loved it. The lemon zest compliments mascarpone perfectly. The frosting isn’t anything to go on and on about. Cream cheese buttercream. Nuff said.
But, the overall effect looks lovely. I’m letting these bad boys refrigerate overnight for that lemony goodness to set in.
Thanks again to Lizzy for the recipe!!
Lemon Mascarpone Filling
This is what she called for…I made double so I could add a LOT to each cupcake and have some leftover to dip fruit in
8 oz. Mascarpone Cheese
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/4 c. Powdered Sugar
1) Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until combined.
2) Refrigerate until ready to use.
3 Large Eggs
1/3 c. Canola Oil
3/4 c. Sour Cream
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Zest of 2 Lemons
1/4 c. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
1/2 c. Milk
1 Box White Cake Mix
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners
2) In the bowl of your standup mixer, with the paddle attachment affixed, mix together the eggs, oil, sour cream, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk until smooth
3) Sift the cake mix into the bowl. Gradually increase speed on your mixer until it reaches medium-high and beat for 1 minute
4) Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-20 minutes. Your cake tester should come out clean
5) Remove from muffin tins and cool COMPLETELY on wire racks
6) Once cooled, cut out a decent cone out of the middle of each cupcake.
7) Place the lemon mascarpone filling in a piping bag and fill each cupcake with lemony, creamy goodness
Time to make the frosting…
Cream Cheese Buttercream
8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 c. Salted Butter, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
4-5 c. Powdered Sugar
1) In the bowl of your standup mixer, with the paddle attachment affixed, cream the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla for 2 minutes.
2) Slowly add the powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency. Beat for another minute
3) Fill a piping bag, with your tip of choice, and swirl a bit of frosting on each cupcake
4) Refrigerate the cupcakes (overnight is best) until ready to serve.
Source: Your Cup of Cake