You know how Homer Simpson drools and says “mmmmm, donuts”? That’s me with Nutella
Yes, I’ve done the shameful plastic spoonful in the middle of the night visit….this chocolately hazelnut crack is my weakness
But, my diet has made my weakness something I need to overcome. I was staring at my nearly full jar of Nutella at lunchtime one day (I swear I heard angels singing) and I pondered what I should do with this stuff.
Yes, i’ll make this into a lovely frosting. Since I don’t eat my cupcakes, it’s the perfect solution. Make ’em up and give the away to other Nutella-addicts.
For this recipe, I cheated. *gasp* I, Michelle, cheated and used a yellow cake box mix. Sue me. It was going to go bad in a month and it needed to be baked.
So, this is prolly one of the easiest recipes I’ll post, and hence, why it’s my first.
And for those of you from Omaha, NE, you’ll get what I’m going to say next: I’m going to pull a Jones Bros. and save a nasty cake with phenom frosting.
Yeah, I said it. Jones Bros. is overrated. Homemade will beat their underwhelming cake and mountains of overly sweet frosting any day, any time. I don’t care if the dude was on Cupcake Wars. He didn’t win, did he?
1 c. Unsalted Butter (softened)
2 c. Powdered Sugar (I sift mine, but you don’t have to)
2/3 c. Nutella (accept no substitutes)
1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Pinch Kosher Salt
2-3 T. Heavy Whipping Cream
1) In a stand mixer (get your paddle attachment ready) beat the butter for 2 minutes, until it’s lighter in color and way fluffy.
2) Slowly add the powdered sugar until well blended (make sure it’s set to low and gradually speed it up once the powdered sugar dust is gone).
3) Now it’s time to add the good stuff! Add the Nutella and beat for another two minutes.
4) Add the vanilla extract and salt. Beat for 30 seconds.
5) Add the whipping cream and beat for one minute.
The frosting should look light and fluffy. I used a Wilton 2D tip on my cupcakes. I’ve seen other recipes out there and people used the open round tip…frankly, it didn’t celebrate Nutella enough for me — kinda looked like a light-colored dog turd…just sayin.
Enjoy this stuff! It’s delicious and got rave reviews from everyone at the office 🙂